Monday, January 28, 2013

Day 38.

Paperwhites.  Incredibly fragrant.  Another treat from someone who feels sorry for me.


Hip.
Nothing too profound to report.  I rowed for an hour today so I guess that pretty big.  And I needed some fresh air (I've been out 4 times (to and from the car) in the last month) so we drove to the pavement and I crutched for 15 minutes.  It was really cold and almost dark but still fun.  Plus, my left leg got a little exercise...poor thing...has to suffer for something the right leg did.

The other day a woman came up and introduced herself to me.  Said she was one of the first responders to my accident on the ski trail.  Told me she couldn't believe how brave and stoic I was through the whole thing.  Nice but that's not how I remember it.

I saw at least a hundred people ski by my window this weekend.  Makes me sad.  It's wimpy but I can't help it.  I know I should focus on what I can do instead of what I can't but geez that gets tiring.

More of my food craziness*.
Almond milk has been tempting me for a long time and even though I buy it once in a while...I haven't dared drink it.  Just almonds, water and natural flavors.  But what are natural flavors?  The almond milk companies won't tell me.  I did some research and found out natural flavors can be almost anything. They don't even have to be listed with the ingredients or in the nutritional info as long as they're used for flavor and not for nutrition.  Seems almost illegal.


fresh homemade almond milk in my favorite pot
fresh homemade almond milk in my favorite mug
I thought about it for a while then decided that I could probably make my own.  dah.  Almonds, water and, to make it special, some expensive organic vanilla powder**.  I soaked. I blended. I strained and haven't been able to stop drinking it.

Other.
We have one cricket in our house.  Vin has been putting water out for it in a peanut butter jar lid.  Then today we got an assignment for sound class.  We have to go around and record some sounds.  An elevator, a truck idling...and guess what else?...a cricket.

*FYI. When I get sick from something I shouldn't have eaten I have hangover symptoms for at least 24 hours.
**something else I never dared try

No comments:

Post a Comment