Friday, January 11, 2013

Day 20.

If you ever feel like you want some sympathy, just break a hip.  Even though I'd like to think I hate getting sympathy...if I didn't get any, I'd be bummed.  Phone calls from childhood friends I'd forgotten about, aunts that generally don't make long distance calls, people I don't even know.  It's all good.

Linda, my best friend from high school, gives me a daily task.  Yesterday's task was to learn to wiggle my ears.  I always thought it was something you were born doing like rolling your tongue but evidently not.  I think I'll be good at it.

Complaining to my friend Liz about the pain of having to lay here watching the groomer drive by, she thought I meant the dog groomer and couldn't understand why it was such a big deal.  It wasn't until she realized I meant the ski trail groomer that she pictured my 'bed in the living room' location as a torture chamber.

Twice a week the visiting nurse comes to make sure my blood isn't too thick (blood test) and my bowels are moving.   I knew him from last year and can't decide if that is good or bad.

PT knows me from last year too.  They come three times a week and treat me as an individual rather than a person with a broken hip.  Yesterday I did a bunch of things I was sure would be impossible.   When the therapist said 'I want you to walk with one crutch' (this is the therapist that got stuck driving up to our house in 2 feet of snow on the ski trail so I had my doubts about her judgement) I immediately knew I'd never be able to do it....but I did.  I also
1. laid on my stomach*
2. bent down to pick something off the floor
3. walked up the stairs
4. stared at my bike on the trainer wondering how I could get my leg over the top tube without putting all my weight on the leg with the broken hip.

A huge crowd was on hand for the Vermont premier of 'Sam' and 'Gas Money'


Then.  I WENT OUT...AT NIGHT, IN THE DARK to the Arthouse in Craftsbury Common for the full moon (that was actually a waning crescent) potluck and our film screening.  People must be more comfortable going out during a waning crescent than they are during a full moon because it was the biggest crowd ever (50 or so and only 32 chairs) for the monthly full moon feast.  Buoyed by the riot of home-cooked vittles (we brought Ben and Jerry's) the audience responded well to our films.  Lots of laughs and questions.  Surrounded by handmade wool sweaters and warm boots, instead of facebook, cell phones and texting, I was happy to be in Vermont with no cell service.

I'm thrilled with my seemingly miraculous recovery...probably my incredibly positive attitude...not!

*tired of sleeping (or not sleeping) on my back I somehow managed to roll to my stomach which was wonderful until I realized I was stuck that way


No comments:

Post a Comment