Thursday, December 27, 2012

WARNING! up to Day 6.

If you don't want to listen to me talk about the progress of my broken leg you many want to ignore the next few posts.  It's an easy way for me to keep track of my progress.

Dec 22.  Day 1.  I looked at my watch.  Thinking, "11:30 am? Already?  How'd that happen? We have to leave at noon to meet Liz and Meg in Hanover".   Two seconds later I was on the ground with what I was sure was a broken hip.  I always thought if I was in trouble somewhere I'd never be able to yell 'HELP' because I would be too embarrassed.   Come to find out it wasn't all that hard.

I'll spare you the details from the previous post and fast forward to some stuff I haven't mentioned.  Ketamine.  In order to take x-rays someone gave me Ketamine in addition to some other things.  I don't remember screaming, or any other part of the x-rays, but Vince tells me I was.  In 8th grade health class we watched some drug education films.  I remember a film with the premise:  'this is what the world looks like if you take LSD'.  It was like I was seeing that movie all over again except in the end I didn't put my hand in the open flame that looked like a flower.  Awful.  Similar to the computer screen hoopla following an online solitaire win if it was followed by  nausea and vomiting.

My mantra in the ambulance...call Liz and Meg to say that we won't make it*...cancel the Arizona airline tickets...cancel the rental car...cancel the bike rental...call Liz and Meg to say that we won't make it...cancel the Ariz.... 

Dec 23.  Day 2.
Still recovering from the anesthesia and pain medication.  Groggy.  Vince came bringing me food and good cheer.  The hospital staff knows me from my knees.  Not sure how that makes me feel.  All morning the staff is telling me physical therapy will be coming to see me....like I'll think that's good news.  The physical therapist comes and, just as I'd feared, makes me get up to walk.  Torture.  I beg her to forget she's ever seen me.  For a while she thought I was kidding.   It's hard to explain but I can't figure out how to move.  I tense up with each step which makes me tense up even more and I scream from surprise and excruciating pain.  Adding the anticipation of repeating that routine with each step makes me crazy.  Sitting in the chair next to my bed, I'm wondering if the catheter should be hanging at shoulder height like it is.  Little appetite. 

Dec 24.  Day 3.
Some of the staff is wearing Dollar Store Santa hats.  Those hats are never very convincing but everyone means well.  I keep expecting someone to look good in them but no one ever does.
With as much dread as yesterday, I walked with PT.   No more nausea and vomiting.   My knee surgeon popped in to assure me my accident was just a blip.  RN removed the catheter.  Using the commode is very dignified.   Vince and I watched 'Breaking Bad' on my laptop.  Awake most of the night again.  A hospital at night feels science fictiony with the beeps, rolling carts and squeaky footsteps.  At midnight it's Christmas.  Weird.  My friend Allison came and brought me some treats.

Dec 25.  Day 4.
Merry Christmas.  I'm going home today.  PT has the day off.  All I can think about is 'how am I going to get into the car?' and  'how am I going to get out of the car?' 
Entering the house I stood, surprised, facing the tree Vince had cut down and decorated.  It's the most beautiful holiday tree I've ever seen.  He waited with some of the ornaments so I could tell him where to hang them.  He put the guest bed in the living room for me.  Linda and Sheldon came over with Christmas cheer and an invitation to dinner.  Tried walking again but (and I'm not kidding) I forgot how.  No sleep.  At this point two new knees were more comfortable and easier than a broken femur.

Dec 26.  Day 5.
Didn't try walking at all today.  Too scared and seems like the payoff for waiting another day will be worthwhile.  Less pain and anxiousness.  Slept tons better.  Allison and Adrian brought over leftovers.   Janet called.  Elinor and George brought over the triangular pillow they loaned to me during my knee recovery.  Sleeping OK. 

Dec 27.  Day 6.
Less groggy.  Walking went pretty well...bending my knee when I bring it through seems to work.   Doing other PT.   Most of the pain is achy pain.  Like I fell really hard on my hip.  I still tense up and scream but much less.  The visiting nurse came to take some blood and a pulse.  He remembers me from my knees too.  Linda came by to feed me, chat and walk Max.  Gina brought me a book and a visit.
Snow storm today.  I love being out skiing in a snowstorm.  (don't worry)  The snow machine just went by packing the ski trail outside the house....now, that really hurts.

*By the time Vince called them they were already at the Dirt Cowboy in Hanover waiting for us, having driven from Saratoga Springs.  So.  Next time you're in Saratoga Springs please go and buy something at Blue Sky Bicycles.  Ask for Liz and tell her I made you stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment