Thursday, December 27, 2012

A Blip.

Anyway.
I think I already told you, but we're in Vermont from Ohio for Christmas break.  Vince is in Craftsbury and I'm in Morrisville...in the hospital with a broken leg.  We were doing a ski-orienteering meet on normally snow covered trails that were ice covered on the day of the meet.   You can't imagine how many times I've replayed that downhill corner in my mind since then.  I'd been having such a great time up until the fall.  In orienteering everyone has a map with points printed on it.  These points are markers hidden in the woods.  Each skier follows the map trying to get to these points in the most efficient, fastest way.  Everyone starts at a different time and everyone goes a different way which is great unless you're laying on the ground with a broken leg hoping someone decided to go the same direction as you.  In ten minutes and before I got too cold, someone found me and 35 minutes after that I was in a warm shed waiting for an ambulance.  I make it sound comfortable but it wasn't (and still isn't).  The first responders couldn't have done a better job (other than not letting me ski on the ice in the first place) and if this ever happens again I want the exact same crew.  At the hospital I do (but wish I didn't) remember the nurse taking off my boot! but thankful I don't remember getting the x-rays.  When I started remembering things again, the surgeon said the procedure couldn't have gone better.  He just twisted my foot and everything lined right up for him to nail.  Nail.  Sounds icky.  So now, instead of spending in Christmas in Arizona with my Dad, I'm spending it in the hospital with a walker.



We're having a potluck and showing a couple of our films at the Stardust Bookstore Cafe on January 9.

School.
We got our first semester grades.  Somehow the A minus I was going to complain about doesn't feel quite so important.

This was fun.
Vin and I had four pretty big assignments to get done in the 3 days after we got back to Vermont.  Saving the worst for last, we each had a 2500 word final Film Studies paper due on December 13.  Neither one of us started it until 9:30 that night but figured as long as the Prof had the paper in his inbox by the time he got to his office the next morning we could sneak it by him.  Emailing word counts to each other we kept each other awake.
"183 words"
"200"
"212"
"oh no"
"676"
"a race" 
"now i'm nervous"
"984"
"That's it.  I quit"
"1071"
"1245"
and so on. Vince from his basement office and me from the living room couch, we finished.  For Vin it was 6 am and for me it was 7:20 and sunny.

Our classmate Kelly (not his real name) was an hour late for a 10:30 am class the other day.  Reason was that his power went out so his alarm didn't go off.  Yes, I did say 10:30.  Vince and I were the only ones that realized needing an alarm for a 10:30 class was really funny.

Interesting Arizona trip fact:
The rental car was $5/day (plus I found a coupon for 10% off) and the bike rental was $30/day.

Now what?  Follow-up appointment in a week.  Until then we'll wonder if it would be possible to work on a film shoot or sit in classes or drive to Ohio or get to class.......

As we say in Minnesota, 'It could be worse.'

No comments:

Post a Comment