Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I'm packed...with loose clothing and irrational fear.

Just before I took my knees for their last ski.  The guest bed will go here and it will be my convalescing space.  Very cheerful.

"Is there anything I can do for you?" asked my friend John today on the phone today in reference to my surgery and rehab.  I thought for a second then said, "I have a Netflix at the Post Office and I don't have a car.  Can you pick it up for me?"  He left work and rode his bike to the PO.  Knee surgery = Power.

Tomorrow. By early afternoon I'll be sitting in a hospital bed with two new knees which should make me feel good except I will have had to be inside all day and it's supposed to be 54 degrees and sunny.  Please make the forecast be wrong.

My new community is a very welcoming group of local 70+ knee replacement survivors.  They're advising and outfitting me for the procedure.  So far they've passed along, two CryoCuffs, a walker, a commode (yes, I'll be using a used commode), gel packs, phone numbers and good wishes.

Elinor was walking down the road next to the ski trail today. (Elinor has two new knees and is part of my new community) "How is it today?" she hollered when I skied by.  Well of course I thought she was asking about my knee and I went into this long boring scenario, comparing it to yesterday, how I think the boot/ski combination I have on is good...important stuff.   Then she said "I meant how is the skiing?" 

Today.  I skied for the last time with my old knees which was oddly sad.  OK, now I can say it.  I hated skiing so carefully (i.e. slowly) this winter.  I tried convincing myself that it was good enough just being out in the fresh air but was never totally committed to that theory as much as I'd wanted to be.  Next winter I'll be able to ski with my arms AND legs.  YIPPEE.

Coming soon...
NYC hotel
•NYC trip.  With my high school girlfriends.


In case you've ever wondered what it looked like behind the doors of one of those airport clubs



•Tallahassee trip.  Florida State University MFA film program interview.
•Athens, Ohio trip.  Ohio University MFA film program interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment