Saturday, March 17, 2012

Day Zer000

I was able to ski for an hour with Vince before we went to the hospital.  It was so fun, fast and mostly painless really.  It's pretty much the end of the season so my timing, as it happened, was really good.  The anxiety of the drive to the hospital wasn't what I expected.  I thought Vin would have to knock me out but he didn't.

The OR nurse was an ignorant dink.  So many insinuating questions that weren't necessary.  She argued with me when I told her I couldn't have a glucose IV suggesting that me thinking I needed a saline IV was an affectation that was in my head.  It was a conversation I didn't need right then.  I finally told her that I didn't care if she believed me or not and she got much nicer but not until I started crying.  I just couldn't hold back the tears when I was giving her my phone number.

Anyway, went into the OR thinking I was getting partial knee replacements and came out with total knee replacements.  Guess I wasn't all that surprised.  The surgeon said they were both so bad that after scoping them the decision was a no brainer.  Said he really didn't like doing totals on someone 'so young'. At least I'm in the young category of some group.

Vin was there all day or said he was.

I don't remember a whole lot about recovery except I felt like crap and thought the nursing staff I had, must have graduated at the bottom of their classes.  I stood, vomited and took a few steps with my walker.  Got a bunch of calls and emails.  I couldn't eat.  The discomfort from the surgery/anesthesia seemed a lot worse than the discomfort from my knees.  Cathaters, commodes, hospital gowns that open in the back are all pretty undignified.  Normal post-op from what I hear.

My legs are wrapped and I never want to see my incisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment