Thursday, March 22, 2012

Being Out Of Joint

If everyone says I'm doing so well, how come I feel so miserable?

Pathetic looking.

I can't believe this is me.  Looks like a football.


I'm not nauseous anymore but I still have a hard time eating enough.  I made a chart and started counting calories.  That way if I need another 200 calories at the end of the day, I just grab a handful of nuts or eat a spoonful of wheatgerm.*  I've managed to turn eating into work. 

I can walk with crutches.  In fact I can walk with one crutch.  Physical therapy came to the house.  She said I was doing great (of course).  She comes again tomorrow.  I'm going to ask her if she hears my new knee clicking too.  I can lift my left leg off the ground but not the right one because the muscle that used to be there disappeared completely which makes me even more amazed and thankful I was able to limp through the ski season.

The visiting nurse people sent someone too.  He seemed present and experienced albeit a bit sloppy.  Tell me if you think this is sloppy.  He put on some rubber gloves, rooted around in three dirty bags and and then took the dressing off my knee.  The dressing that no one is supposed to touch because there is such an incredibly high risk of infection.  I told him I was surprised he put on the gloves and then rooted around in the dirty bags and he said that the gloves were to protect him not me.  (maybe that's right?)  Anyway, once he was all protected (from the insides of his bags?) he started putting piles of gauze along the wound (he was out of the real dressing) and had me hold them, with my dirty hands, while he taped them with little pieces of tape...conserving because he didn't have more tape either.  Then there is this sticker.  "I'm going to leave you this, make sure you call if you need anything at all."  A known quantity, he's coming again tomorrow.

One of the things that made me think the visiting nurse was sloppy.


Today and yesterday I moved a chair outside (no small feat) so I could sit and read.  I wasn't going to let a sunny, 75 degree Northern Vermont day in March go by without me.  I didn't actually read that much but just sitting was nice.  Max joined me.  He didn't read either.  It was hot so I pulled my sweat pants down around my ankles (but not all the way off since getting them back on would be even harder than getting the chair outside) to bring my ace-bandaged legs one layer closer to fresh air.



Tomorrow Vince is going to pick up a rocking chair for me...so there's that.  Then there's the sitting outside reading in the sun.  Sounds like a post from someone in a nursing home.

NYC Trip
Sarah eating oatmeal at Bread and Butter

Only Linda would wear a faux fur skirt.


My Tyler, Minnesota High School girlfriends** (class of 74) met me in NYC a few weekends ago.  It could have been really cold but it wasn't.  My knee could have kept me in the hotel room but it didn't.  And 'Jersey Boys' may not have been as good as everyone said but it was even better.

When we all get together it really doesn't matter where we are or what we do, which is good because even though my knee ended up OK, it may not have and I know they wouldn't have minded spending the weekend in the hotel room which was good but not as good as it looked online.

So.  Even though it didn't matter what we did, we were glad we got to see Mamma Mia (closure to our Greece trip), Jersey Boys, the High Line, and a bunch of other things.

I probably set the world record for overland crutch travel from 27th to Columbus Circle/Central Park and back.

*theoretically that is...right now I don't have any nuts or wheat germ.

**now from Idaho and Oregon (i.e. long flight)

No comments:

Post a Comment