Thursday, April 28, 2011

OK I'm Ready For Winter

It's still really hot so I don't mind that the shower is only cold water but when the ceiling fan quit, I was bummed.  I pantomimed to the housekeeper that the fan wasn't spinning.  She got up on my bed, gave a blade a whack and voila.....moving air.  Easy enough. 
My humble room

Yesterday, sitting in the van in front of a new break/beach with a rock bottom, the four of us...I guess you could stretch the definition and call us 'advanced beginners'...were all pretty nervous.  Guiermo our Uraguanian surf instructor was sitting deep in thought, looking out at the water and we weren't going to move until he did.  Expecting to hear some deep wave assessment insight I asked,
"What are you thinking Guiermo ?"  
"I thinking where I going to park" he answered.

The Weekend.

There is no getting around the riding being hot and hilly (I'm saving the flat 15 miler to the bakery and national park for weekdays) although the morning rain made it cooler and less dusty for about a half hour.  I was on my bike today for a long time and not because I went a long way but because I walked some of the hills.  At the beginning of the ride, if I'd hear someone coming, I would act like I had just gotten off to let them by, stand there while they passed and then act like I was getting back on my bike until they were out of site.  After a while I decided even that was too much extra effort and would just keep walking.  As much as I was suffering, I still really really enjoyed being out.  I stopped for club soda and decided to enjoy it in the ambiance of the little store.  As the uncomfortable silence became louder I said to the clerk "Las olas grande" ("the waves big") which is what you say when you don't know the language well enough to say "How about this weather?".  She gave me a confused look and answered with something about the moon.

Later while passing a group of 4 or 5 12-ish year old kids on their bikes the front girl stood up and said "Vamos" which I happened to know meant "Let's go."  

On the same ride 2 dogs came out and chased me.  I yelled "go home" a couple of times and they didn't.  Of course not, they only speak Spanish.
Sharing the road
More sharing the road


Other News.
While my surf today was spent working on turning...on purpose, Carly from Vancouver was at the other end of the beach letting the board get between the wave and her.  Wop.  Off to Cobano to the Emergency Room with a sign above the door that says "Lifeguard Station", then across the street for an x-ray at the vet clinic.  Nothing was broken.

I was reading my book.  I don't have a bookmark but I've been having pretty good luck opening the book to where I left off each time.  Today I opened it to where I thought I left off and read the first line "The bullet that killed Laurie..."  Shit.  Wrong place.  Last I knew Laurie was on a raft trip.

To be here you have to not mind being dirty.

I've never enjoyed icing my knee as much as I've enjoyed icing it here.

There has to be an easy way to get out of this hammock.

Sorry about the photo quality but it's what you get with a digital camera you get free with a hundred dollar HP printer.

 Presentation is everything
Breakfast and more sharing

No comments:

Post a Comment