Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sheathing and Sheila-ing






I've decided that part of the overwhelming-ness of school is worrying about this blog not being up to date and that's why I'm up at 3:30 AM trying to make sheathing sound interesting. Maybe if I combine sheathing with my friend Sheila's visit....

Sheathing with plywood and not OSB (a local favorite that, when wet, dissolves like sheetrock that's been left in the rain) won us the respect of the county building inspector forever. Anyway, so that's done and now I can tell you about Sheila.

She flew all the way from Portland, Oregon to visit. One of the few-few people that didn't flinch when I told her (yes, ahead of time) that she would have to sleep outside with us and we didn't have plumbing, electricity or running water. Waking up to Max's frozen solid water bowl, she decided her brand new 30 degree accordion-baffled down bag would be her summer bag. Long hikes are perfect for catching so that's mostly what we did. We invited ourselves to Ed and Linda's, vintage friends who fed us from their garden. They wouldn't have minded sleeping outside covered with frost either. Sheila, Ed and I lived in a tent camp and worked together as Forest Service surveyors 29 years ago....before all but one of our film school classmates was born. Traveling teammates living on $10 a day, I left Sheila in New Zealand (the stop after Hawaii, Fiji and Australia) to work for the NZ Forest Service and now all of a sudden she's been a soil scientist for over 20 years.

I got my Nelson Library card today. Check-out limit? 20.

Tonight's homework (my turn to pick) was watching Michael Moore's 'Roger And Me'. Maybe school's not so bad.

Pretty sure that's snow I saw up in the mountains north of town this morning. Could be just rocks or something except I'm sure they weren't there yesterday. Don't remind me that we'll be spending the weekend in a tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment