Thursday, September 3, 2009

The House #1






"I'm still not sure what you're really building."
Before I heard that a fourth time, I decided to devote the next couple of posts to THE HOUSE. So, for all of the geeks that would rather read about the house than me, or Max or eagles....this one is for you. : )

Last you knew we had a foundation. Now we have a concrete slab. Covered with cement are layers of pipes, wires, insulation, stones and tubing that looked like a spaceship. Vince got so tired of me asking what layer came next that he quit answering and I had to ask Brett. The slab is concrete color, shiny, and smooth. It's the finished floor and a good home to a Turkish rug.

The pour. If you've ever done a big pour you know that it is sort of a big deal. Up early, we were giddy knowing that by the end of the day we'd have a finished floor so it was sort of embarrassing when the concrete guy didn't show up or call. What do you do? We did the same thing the surgeon did that time I forgot to come in for surgery (true story). Reschedule. We're we mad at him? When he finally did show up a few day later he was a hero. I know, it's not fair.

And there's so much more done....

Rough plumbing.
Radiant tubing.
Radon ventilation.
Electric and water to the house. (during the electrical inspector banter I had to bite my tongue every time he referred to his partner as 'the wife')
Exterior walls framed. (framing is fun)
2 huge beams placed. (that was fun too)
Layers and layers of roof. (I didn't even bother asking Vince about those layers)
Felt on exterior walls becauseTyvek doesn't breathe and Typar isn't available out here.
Windows and doors are in except the wall to wall, window/door combination that showed up here 180 degrees from the way we ordered it. All the doors and windows are very up-scale looking (which is what you want in Metaline Falls) milled-aluminum The color of the inside of an aluminum can.

There is still more but I'll surprise you with all that later because I know you're still not sure what we're building.

Tomorrow...pictures of those big beams I was telling you about.

Gotta run...it's Tuesday. One woman Farmers Market* in the parking lot of the health food store in Ione that also sells bullets.

ps. we've had hot (i.e. 100 degree) dry weather. Good for building if you're not in a shadeless field on a roof covered with (one of the layers) tar paper. btw. tar-paper = black

No comments:

Post a Comment