Sunday, March 2, 2014

Producer Tasks

I just made some soft pretzels.


I'm producing my classmate Cory's film where there is a house fire in the last scene*.    So, when he asked me to make smoke bombs (producer** of a student film has a varied job description) I put it on my 'to do' list.  That was until I realized the smoke bombs*** were for an interior scene....in someone's house!  A house that someone, in good faith, lent him for his film.  I asked him if he had told/asked her if lighting smoke bombs in her house would be OK and yadayada, we're now using a safe, controllable fog machine.

Then, we're housing one of the actors in the apartment of a classmate who is shooting in Ukraine at the moment.  I went over to spiff up the place and make the bed with the sheets I'd just bought (after all, I am the producer) but of course, there was no key.   Why was I not surprised?

The words 'probably' and 'I assume so' are used far to often.

So that's what I'm up to these days as an MFA film student.

*That bit of info shouldn't ruin it for you since earlier in the film the woman puts a frozen pizza in the oven while it's still in the box
**I wonder if Judd Apatow ever had to make smoke bombs for his director
***my smoke bombs are a combination of postassium nitrate and sugar and I used them in my 'I Love Bagels' film (all exterior) where even with an inch of aluminum between the bombs and the ironing board I was using, the ironing board caught fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment