Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Canada Is Complicated.







The other day I was half way down the street with my 2 dollar cup of coffee when I realized I'd just tipped the coffee kid 8 dollars. I can't seem to get into the habit of NOT dropping my coffee change into the tip jar just like I can't get used to a two dollar coin. I sort of waited until he was looking before I dropped the change in the jar so at least he knows the big tip was from me.

Is $3.50 Canadian a lot for a little can of olives? I figure when I need olives it sort of doesn't matter so maybe I'd rather not know and as long as there is no tip involved I'm probably OK.

Celcius. I can't get used to 30 degrees being really hot. One of these days I'll take two uninterrupted minutes and just focus on comprehending the celcius-fahrenheit conversion that I knew so well in grade school.

Get this...Canadian Thanksgiving is October 13!

School.
The other day at lunch a precocious 20 year old classmate asked me what it was like being in the same program as my spouse. Without thinking I said it was great. Later I thought about how Vince always has to ask me what the assignment is, borrows my handouts because he can't find his (I don't think he really looks) and then puts them back in the wrong place. I'm thinking of saying there isn't an assignment sometime....you know, teach him a lesson. Of course I'd never do that but am I awful for even thinking it?

Actually being in school together is pretty fun. We need each other for Seinfeld references (our classmates were in junior high during that era) and sharing wizened cynical comments and observations.

Other.
Exercise=about an hour a day. We ride up steep steep steep hills (middle ring even for Vince) to the abandoned railroad bed where we dodge unleashed dogs without even minding. No one would ever think of using a leash and no one would ever think of minding. I don't think anyone has a temper. To have a temper would be embarrassing because I don't think Canadians would know how to react. There would be no back and forth like we're used to.
p.s.. I mean that as a compliment

Nelson has a ton of hardwoods so anyone that feels sorry for us missing the fall in New England....shouldn't. Think of it as Vermont with bigger mountains and no tempers.

Metaline Falls.
We're gone for a couple of days, we come home and our house has been take over by blue birds. I'm glad the house is being used while we're gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment